Image Design and Editing
- Image Design and Editing
- Code: DPG110
- View Course Outline
- Software: GIMP (Free download provided in course)
- Prerequisite: None
- Related Courses: See course index at left
If you're interested in photography, art, or graphic design, and want to learn more about creating professional quality images, Image Design and Editing is the perfect course for you.
This introductory design class teaches the basics of composition, color, and layout through a series of hands-on projects that allow you to use your creativity while learning important foundational skills.
In this class, you'll use GIMP, a free alternative to more expensive software programs such as Adobe® Photoshop®.
Throughout the course, you'll create a graphic design portfolio with a wide variety of projects, including:
- Cropped and colorized images
- Tracings of photos
- Posters created using filters
- Collages with patterns and effects, created by joining multiple images into a single image
- A comic with talk bubbles and text
- Masked images
- Text graphics
- Advertisements that combine images, color shading, text, and shapes
- A planet on a detailed sky background
As you complete these projects, you'll develop the skills you need to create and edit images of your own. You'll learn about and use:
- The GIMP workspace and tools
- Cropping and zooming
- Optimization for using images online
- Effects, colors, gradients, and custom shapes
- Text formatting
- Desaturating and colorizing
- Custom brushes
- Script plugins
- And much more!